Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Watercolor Tutorial with Distress Inks

Barb here to share an easy way to color your favorite Prickley Pear stamped images using Distress markers/ink pads.  Water coloring is very popular right now in cardmaking so I'm jumpin on in today!  So let's get started!


Supplies:  StazOn ink, watercolor paper (140lb), water brush, 
Distress Markers and or ink pads, kraft sheet, paper towels.


First grab your watercolor paper and stamp image with StazOn ink. 
It is important to use this ink so your image does not run when
you add water.  I used Strathmore 140lb weight watercolor paper
I purchased at Hobby Lobby.


To begin I started with the leaves using Peeled Paint marker I
just squiggled down the center. You don't need to color the
leaves completely.  Take your water brush and work from the color out.
You can keep adding water til you like the way it looks.  
There's no right or wrong to this method. Be artistic!


Here's what it looks like when you finish leaves. 


Next do the centers of flowers. I used black soot for part, use 
waterbrush to fade it out brushing away from black ink.


Now sqiggle in a little vintage photo ink and blend away
toward the edge with water brush.


Now for the petals:  Using wild honey marker add right outside
the center of flower all the way around, use water brush to blend
out toward tips of leaves. I went back and added a little Mustard seed 
to tips of flowers and blended with water brush. Easy!
It may take a little practice but I like the effect!


Here's my completed card. I decided to add green to the 
background. The white was a little stark.  I also added a little
white highlighting with a gel pen and some dots and faux 
stitching with a Copic 0.3 multliner.
The tag is watercolored as well with mustard seed ink.
Prickley Stamps used:

A closer look

I hope you'll give water coloring your stamped images
a try!  It's quite fun!



1 comment:

  1. wow!!! I was looking for a tutorial on this method yesterday night and here you post it today!!! awesome!! thank you so much...
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete